(EnergyAsia, November 24 2016, Thursday) — Curtis Island on Australia’s Queensland state has become the country’s main liquefied natural gas (LNG) hub with the full operation of six trains on its three export-oriented projects from last month.


Costing a total of US$57 billion, the three have a combined nameplate capacity of 25.3 million tonnes, or just over 38% of the country’s total of 66 million tonnes.

Australia Pacific LNG (APLNG) became the largest operator on Curtis Island with the October start-up of its second train that lifted its capacity to nine million tonnes per year. Queensland Curtis’s (QCLNG) two trains have a combined annual capacity of 8.5 million tonnes while Gladstone (GLNG) is the smallest producer with 7.8 million tonnes. The Curtis Island plants were built mostly to supply LNG to Asia.

The US$18.5 billion APLNG is jointly owned by Australia’s Origin Energy (37.5%), ConocoPhillips of the US (37.5%) and China’s Sinopec (25%). QCLNG’s first train is equally owned by Shell’s BG subsidiary and Chinese state firm CNOOC while the second train is 97.5%-owned by BG with Japan’s Tokyo Gas holding the remaining 2.5%. Australian upstream firm Santos is the operator of the US$18.5-billion GLNG plant with a 30% stake that it co-owns with Malaysian state-owned Petronas (27.5%) and South Korea’s Kogas (15%).

At the official start-up of APLNG’s second train, CEO Page Maxson said the company was producing enough LNG to meet both domestic and export requirements.

“As the largest producer of natural gas in eastern Australia, we are underpinned by a world-class coal seam gas resources position. We currently provide approximately 25% of domestic gas to the east coast market, with sufficient reserves to meet both LNG and domestic demand,” he said.