(EnergyAsia, October 6 2011, Thursday) — Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) said it has extended the final date of receiving bids for the proposed 1,500MW Hassyan-1 Independent Power Project to December 12 2011.

The state agency said it did so on the request of the 18 companies invited to submit their bids to develop the project.

Saeed Mohammed Al Tayer, DEWA’s managing director and CEO, said:

“DEWA has received several requests from potential partners who requested to extend the closing date to submit the offers to complete their offers in a competitive way. DEWA has granted approval after having made sure that there won’t be any adverse affect on the project and therefore on Dubai’s needs of electricity due to this change.

“DEWA stresses the importance of continuous communication with International companies, especially its future partners, and it is keen to obtain the best bids.

“DEWA has organised several visits and workshops with developers and financial institutions. This important step comes within the framework of creating fields of investment that encourage private sector’s participation in strategic projects.

“The request for proposal (RFP) covers general instructions to the bidder, minimum functional specification, shareholder agreement, power purchase agreement as well as DEWA IWPP Code.”

The successful bidder will have a 49%-stake of a special purpose company which will be formed to own the Hassyan I Project, with the remaining 51% owned directly or indirectly by DEWA.