(EnergyAsia, May 21 2013, Tuesday) — Canada’s Talisman Energy Inc said it expects to boost oil production at its two new offshore fields in Vietnam to 15,000 b/d once the facilities are fully commissioned.

The Hai Su Trang and Hai Su Den (HST/HSD) fields are located within Block 15-2/01, about 75 km off the coast on the western edge of Vietnam’s prolific Cuu Long Basin. The block is operated by the Thang Long Joint Operating Company (TLJOC) in which a Talisman subsidiary holds a 60% working interest and Vietnam’s state-owned PVEP owns the remaining 40%.

The shallow-water development comprises two wellhead platforms which have been tied back to the existing Te Giac Trang floating production and storage offloading unit. The operator has drilled, completed and tied-in four wells at HST, and completed and tied in two previously drilled wells at HSD.

Both platforms were constructed in Vietnam by PTSC Mechanical and Construction, a subsidiary company of PetroVietnam.

Paul Blakeley, Talisman’s executive vice president for the Asia-Pacific, said:

“We are delighted to have achieved first oil ahead of schedule and under budget. This development will help Talisman meet its regional and corporate objectives of adding near-term, high-margin liquids volumes and associated cash flow. In addition, it will allow us to evaluate the further development potential of the HSD field.

“I would like to thank our colleagues from PetroVietnam and its subsidiary, PetroVietnam Production Exploration Corporation (PVEP), as well as PTSC, the EPCI contractor, and PV Drilling. Working closely together, we have been able to deliver first oil in less than 18 months from project sanction. This is a remarkable achievement, and consistent with Talisman’s objective of bringing projects on-stream safer, better, faster and at lower cost.”

Talisman Energy Inc, a global upstream oil and gas company headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, has two core operating areas: the Americas (North America and Colombia) and Asia-Pacific.